AP NEWS

Pup rescued from South Side house fire dies

December 6, 2018

One of a dozen pups San Antonio firefighters rescued from a South Side fire has died.

Animal Care Services spokeswoman Lisa Norwood said the pup was being cared for in the intensive care unit at the shelter’s main campus. Firefighters had resuscitated the little Blue Heeler mix at the scene Wednesday but she didn’t make it through the night.

Three of the dogs tested positive for parvo, a contagious virus that is often fatal. They were taken in by San Antonio Pets Alive!, which has a special parvovirus puppy ward. A female dog was reported to be in critical condition, suffering from respiratory distress as a result of smoke inhalation as well as parvo.

Norwood said when the dogs arrived at ACS, veterinary staff were concerned about the pups’ health and the effects of smoke from the fire.

The homeowner, who safely escaped the burning house in the 200 block of Betty Jean Street, surrendered all of the dogs to ACS.

Vincent T. Davis is a reporter in the Greater San Antonio and Bexar County area. Read him on our free site, mySA.com, and on our subscriber site, ExpressNews.com. | vtdavis@express-news.net | Twitter: @vincentdavis

AP RADIO
Update hourly