Update on the latest sports
Schwartzel matches Koepka’s round of 63 at PGA
ST. LOUIS (AP) — Charl Schwartzel matched the low round at a PGA Championship with his 7-under 63 on Friday, about half an hour after U.S. Open champion Brooks Koepka (KEHP’-kah) did likewise.
There hadn’t been two 63s on the same day in a major championship since the 1980 U.S. Open, when Jack Nicklaus and Tom Weiskopf shot rounds of 7 under at Baltusrol.
Schwartzel had 30 feet for birdie at his final hole, which would have given him a 62. He wound up with a two-putt par.
The only 62 in a major championship was Branden Grace’s third round at last year’s British Open.
Schwartzel and Koepka didn’t approach the best rounds relative to par at a PGA. That record is 9 under, set by Gary Player at Shoal Creek in 1984 and matched by Jose Maria Olazabal in 2000 at Valhalla and Hiroshi Iwata three years ago at Whistling Straits.
Redskins RB Derrius Guice out for season with torn ACL
UNDATED (AP) — Washington Redskins rookie running back Derrius Guice is out for the season after tearing the ACL in his left knee.
Guice was injured in Washington’s preseason opener at New England on Thursday night. The team announced the prognosis Friday following an MRI, saying Guice should make a full recovery and be ready to play in 2019.
Guice was expected to be the Redskins’ starter after they selected him 59th overall in the draft. The LSU product was considered a first-round prospect and went late in the second.
The team says tight end Manasseh Garner, a long shot to make the roster, is also out for the season with an ACL injury.
In other NFL news:
— President Donald Trump has again lashed out at football players who refuse to stand for the national anthem. Trump tweeted Friday that NFL players “make a fortune doing what they love” and those who refuse to stand “proudly” for the anthem should be suspended without pay. A number of players demonstrated during the anthem before preseason games Thursday night. Players have been protesting police killings of black men, social injustice and racism.
— The NFL says a defective football was removed from play during the third quarter of the Steelers-Eagles game in Philadelphia and will be sent back to manufacturer Wilson for review. Questions about an underinflated football flared among fans online after Thursday’s game when a sideline radio reporter tweeted that he saw a ball looking “VERY deflated” after an incompletion thrown by Pittsburgh rookie Mason Rudolph. A scandal over underinflated footballs during the 2015 AFC championship game got New England quarterback Tom Brady suspended for four games and prompted the NFL to change how it handles footballs before and during games.
Cubs sign De La Rosa, transfer Darvish to 60-day DL
UNDATED (AP) — The Chicago Cubs have signed veteran left-hander Jorge De La Rosa and transferred righty Yu Darvish to the 60-day disabled list to make room for him on the 40-man roster. The Cubs also optioned left-hander Randy Rosario to Triple-A Iowa to create a spot for De La Rosa on the active roster.
A 15-year veteran, De La Rosa has pitched in relief the past two seasons with Arizona after being used more as a starter earlier in his career. He was 0-2 with a 4.63 ERA in 42 appearances this season before the Diamondbacks designated him for assignment last week.
The Cubs plan to have Darvish throw at least one more simulated game before going on a minor league rehab assignment. Signed to a $126 million, six-year contract in February, he has been sidelined since May 20 because of triceps and elbow injuries.
In other baseball news:
— The NL East-leading Philadelphia Phillies have acquired first baseman Justin Bour from the Miami Marlins for a minor league player. Bour is batting .227 with 19 homers and 54 RBIs. He’s expected to be a pinch-hitter in Philadelphia where Carlos Santana is the starting first baseman in the first year of a $60 million, three-year contract. Single-A left-handed pitcher McKenzie Mills goes to Miami and the Phillies also received cash in the deal.
Red Wings re-sign Dylan Larkin to $30.5 million, 5-year deal
The Detroit Red Wings have re-signed Dylan Larkin to a $30.5 million, five-year contract.
The team announced the deal with the 22-year-old center on Friday. Larkin was a restricted free agent.
He led the team with a career-high 63 points and was third with 16 goals last season. He has 56 goals and 140 points over three seasons, playing in at least 80 games each year.
Detroit drafted the Waterford, Michigan, native and former Wolverine with the No. 15 pick overall in 2014. He scored a career-high 23 goals and was an All-Star as a rookie.
Larkin played for Team North America during the 2016 World Cup and has played for the U.S. in four world championships.
COLLEGE FOOTBALL-PLAYER PRIVACY-INJURY REPORTS
NCAA injury debate pits player privacy vs. gambling concerns
NEW YORK (AP) — The U.S. Supreme Court’s decision that allows states to legalize sports gambling has sparked a debate about requiring injury reports in college football.
NCAA leaders are analyzing whether it’s possible to have more medical transparency to prevent collusion and be more consistent. That’s a tough task with hundreds of teams balancing the rules of various universities, conferences and state and federal laws.
No formal plans have been proposed as legal experts and compliance officers analyze an issue that’s more complicated for college football than the NFL, which has a mandated reporting system.
A similar system of regular in-depth reports in the NCAA would have the hurdle of privacy for younger athletes.
New rules likely won’t come soon — the new season starts in three weeks and just four states have officially legalized sports gambling.
Krzyzewski: No ‘plan of execution’ for NCAA hoops reforms
UNDATED (AP) — Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski (shuh-SHEF’-skee) doesn’t believe the NCAA coordinated its reforms well enough.
Speaking two days after the governing body announced numerous changes following a high-profile corruption scandal in college basketball, Krzyzewski on Friday said he approves the intent behind the changes but added that “they don’t have a plan of execution.”
Among the notable changes, the NCAA included provisions allowing agent relationships. The NCAA proposes that a few high school players identified as elite prospects by USA Basketball be allowed to sign with agents beginning July 1 before their senior year. But the NBA would have to change its age-limit restrictions.
Also, college players who sign with agents may return to school if undrafted, but only if they sought NBA advisory evaluations and participated in the league’s scouting combine. That also would require tweaks to NBA and players’ union rules.
In other college basketball news:
— Wake Forest University says it has placed assistant basketball coach Jamill Jones on leave after police say he threw a punch that killed a New York City tourist. Athletic director Ron Wellman said in a statement that he spoke with Jones on Friday and the coach agreed with the decision. Police say Sandor Szabo banged on Jones’ SUV window early Sunday, apparently thinking the vehicle was his Uber ride, after attending his stepsister’s wedding. Authorities say Jones got out, punched Szabo and sped off. Szabo fell and hit his head, never regained consciousness and was taken off life support Tuesday. Jones turned himself in to police Thursday and was arraigned on a misdemeanor assault charge.
Former Tour champion Ullrich arrested over alleged attack
BERLIN (AP) — Former Tour de France champion Jan Ullrich was arrested early Friday and is being investigated for attempted manslaughter after allegedly attacking an escort at a Frankfurt hotel.
A Frankfurt police spokeswoman said the retired German cyclist was under the influence of drugs and alcohol and that the woman needed medical treatment.
Later, a police statement said Ullrich had resisted arrest.
Ullrich served a two-year ban for doping in 2012, five years after he retired.
Detroit Grand Prix to run for at least 3 more years
DETROIT (AP) — The Detroit Grand Prix will run on Belle Isle for at least three more years.
Michigan’s Department of Natural and race organizers announced an agreement on Friday that includes an option to extend the deal through 2023. The previous deal expired after this year’s race.
The contract cuts down the time the Detroit Grand Prix has access to the island to 60 days in 2019. It previously had 84 days to set up the race track and take it down.
The state will get an annual fee of $325,000 after being paid $200,00 per year. The Detroit Grand Prix will give $125,000 per year for island improvements.
The Detroit Grand Prix has run on Belle Isle since 2012.