5 Arrests in Bosnia Car-Bomb Attack
BANJA LUKA, Bosnia-Herzegovina (AP) _ Bosnian Serb police arrested five people suspected in a car-bomb attack that critically wounded a journalist last year, the United Nations said Friday.
Zeljko Kopanja, chief editor of the independent newspaper Nezavisne Novine, lost his legs when a bomb exploded in his car in October. Kopanja had received written threats because he wrote articles alleging Serb soldiers committed atrocities against Muslims during the Bosnian war.
The break in the case came after two businessmen also reported receiving threatening letters, said Alun Roberts, U.N. spokesman in Banja Luka.
``These letters, brought to the police, were similar to the one Kopanja received last year before he became a victim of bomb attack,″ Roberts said. It was unclear why the businessmen had been threatened.
On Thursday night, a bomb explosion destroyed the car of the Bosnian Serb education minister, Nenad Suzic, in Banja Luka, Roberts said. There were no casualties, but five other vehicles in the parking lot were damaged.