Cougars endure rough week on the hardwoods

December 20, 2018

LAUGHLIN — It was a tough week for the Laughlin High School Cougars as they won one and lost two in basketball play.

The Cougars lost to NIAA 2A South League opponent the Adelson Lions 69-36 on Dec. 10.

The game got out of hand for the Cougars in the first quarter as they were down 24-10. The Cougars kept on grinding but were able to put up only 12 points in the second quarter and gave up 33 points.

The Cougars went into halftime with a 57-22 deficit.

The Cougars didn’t lose heart and kept on playing through the final whistle. The Cougars scored nine points in the third and five points in the fourth quarter.

Diego Trujillo led the Cougars with 12 points, followed by Josh Furr with nine points and Dherick Asis with five.

The Cougars came back home to the Cougars Den to take on another league opponent, the Mountain View Saints.

The Cougars got a much-needed win with a final score of 54-29.

The Cougars started the game with a zone press scheme which made it difficult for the Saints to find the openings in the defense.

When the Cougars got a steal, they were off and running on the fast break getting layups or being sent to the foul line.

The first quarter came to a close with the Cougars leading 10-7.

The Cougars kept on running their 2-3 zone press on defense and when they were in their offensive set they looked to pound the paint anytime they could.

The Saints were moving the ball behind the 3-point line trying to find the opening but the Cougars defensive scheme made it hard.

The Cougars nailed a couple of 3-pointers and had a couple more layups and headed into halftime with a 29-17 lead.

In the third quarter, the Cougars started to pull away with defense at one end leading to easy offense at the other.

In the fourth quarter, Gary Reese, Cougars head coach, emptied the bench and let the substitutes see some playing time.

Their third game came against the Lake Mead Eagles on Dec. 14 in the Cougars Den, but the Cougars came up short, losing 47-20.

The Cougars played a 2-3 zone defense which was working, limiting the number of points they gave up in the paint.

The first quarter ended with the Eagles leading the Cougars 9-4.

Starting the second quarter the Eagles played a man-to-man defense and switched players every time the Cougars set a screen, making it tough for the Cougars to find open shots and open lanes.

On the end of the floor, the Eagles’ 3-point shooting heated up and they nailed a couple in the second quarter. They forced the Cougars to play man-to-man defense in order to combat the 3-point shooting.

The Cougars went into halftime down 21-9.

“We only gave up 21 points to this team so we were doing great on defense,” said Reese. “We just weren’t scoring as effective as we wanted to but if we make a couple of those shots in the first half we go into halftime down five points. And after that, it’s anybody game.”

In the third quarter, the Eagles controlled the pace of the game, making it hard for the Cougars to get back into it.

The Eagles continued penetrating in the paint and getting layups until the end of the game.

“We have a couple of new guys who haven’t played basketball that long and it showed with their shooting,” said Reese. “However, we are improving and their shots are starting to be more reliable. I am looking forward to all the practices we are going to have throughout the break. We are going to take advantage of all of them.”

Leading the way for the Cougars was Trujillo with eight points.

Update hourly