‘Can’t trust no one’: Mother of murdered Fayetteville woman says she knew one of the suspects

August 3, 2018

Vicky McArthur - the mother of 28-year-old Nekeshia Washington, who was murdered in July

Officers with the Fayetteville Police Department said a tip from CrimeStoppers led to the arrest of a murder suspect.

Antonio Johnson, 18, is the third person charged in connection with the death of a 28-year-old woman earlier last month.

Authorities said Nekeshia D. Washington was approached at her home in the 1600 block of Slater Avenue on July 16 and shot by a suspect who fled the area.

“We believe that somehow a robbery occurred, and during the course of the robbery we believe that she fought back and she was killed,” Capt. Sameule Oates said.

Johnson was charged with first-degree murder and robbery with a dangerous weapon. He was being held at the Cumberland County Detention Center without bond.

Akeen D. Hair, 22, and Akeem McIver, 23, are also charged in connection with Washington’s death.

Hair is charged with first-degree murder, robbery with a dangerous weapon and a probation violation. McIver is charged first-degree murder and robbery with a dangerous weapon.

Family members said Washington was friends with Hair, so she didn’t think twice about letting him into her home.

“He ate at her house. She fed him, gave him rides. It kind of hurts. It hurts because you can’t trust no one,” said Vicky McArthur, Washington’s mother.

District Attorney Billy West says the suspects robbed Washington of a $400 cell phone.

“But very disturbing nonetheless. That for a $400 cell phone, someone who was very well liked within her community loses their life,” West said.

“My daughter was loved by many people. She had a lot of friends, took care of anybody’s children, give you the shirt off her back,” McArthur said. “There’s never no closure. My baby’s gone. Her birthday is in 15 days.”

McArthur said she plans to celebrate what would have been her daughter’s 29th birthday on Aug. 17 by holding a candlelight vigil outside the home where she was murdered.

Police said the investigation is ongoing and more arrest may be forthcoming.

Update hourly