AP NEWS

Plymouth Residents Displaced By Fire

November 11, 2018

Plymouth Residents Displaced By Fire

PLYMOUTH — At least two people were displaced Saturday after a fire broke out at their home, according to firefighters.

The fire at 223 Center Ave. was reported at 4:48 p.m., with flames showing out of an upstairs bedroom window, said Fire Chief Brian Oppelt of Elm Hill Hose Company No. 3.

“The caller said he could see the fire growing by the second,” he said.

Firefighters arriving on scene were told a young child of about 3 or 4 was trapped inside the home. The crew found the parents still inside as well, unsure where the child had gone, he said.

The parents were told to get out, and a firefighter wearing a respirator located the child and brought him outside, he said.

“He wasn’t in danger,” Oppelt said. “I think he was just more confused as to why mom and dad were running around screaming.”

The fire was contained to a window sill in a second-floor bedroom and was knocked down in about 25 seconds, he said.

The cause was not immediately known, but he said it did not appear suspicious.

The residents would be displaced for at least Saturday night because firefighters pulled the ceiling out of a bathroom and water came down into the kitchen, he said.

“To be on the safe side, we’re going to kill the power on that side until an inspector can come in and make sure everything’s good,” Oppelt said.

The homeowner lives on the other half of the double-block home and was not displaced, he said.

AP RADIO
Update hourly