Czechs Want Ex-Nazi Officer Tried
PRAGUE, Czech Republic (AP) _ A prosecutor said Thursday he wants to reopen the case against a former Nazi SS officer because a new witness claims to have seen him kill an inmate of a concentration camp near Prague.
The suspect, Anton Malloth, now 87, was formerly a guard at the Theresienstadt concentration camp. He was convicted and sentenced to death by a Czechoslovak court in 1948 for hundreds of murders at the camp.
But Malloth fled Czechoslovakia to Italy and has evaded trial ever since by first claiming Italian, then German citizenship. He now lives in a nursing home in Pullach, near Munich, Germany.
Prosecutor Jaroslav Fenyk said Thursday that he is sending prosecutors in Germany the account of a new witness, who allegedly saw Malloth kill an inmate in the concentration camp.
Malloth’s prosecution was delayed earlier this year in Germany after prosecutors said there is not enough evidence to bring the case to the court.
``Now it depends on the reaction of the prosecutors in Germany,″ Fenyk said.
He said that if the Germans refuse to prosecute, Malloth can be prosecuted in absentia in the Czech Republic. The Czechs may also ask for his extradition.