Gus Macker is Back!
SAINT PAUL, Minn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Apr 4, 2019--It was announced yesterday that the famous Gus Macker 3-on-3 Basketball Festival of Fun returns to St. Paul after nearly 12 years. The tournament will be held at St. Paul College from June 14-16 and registration is now open!
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190404005610/en/
Long a fixture in St. Paul until the last tournament was hosted in 2007, the Gus Macker 3-on-3 basketball tournament brings together the community in a festival atmosphere to participate in friendly and fun competition amongst neighbors. All ages and skill levels are encouraged to sign up and bring along their fans for this tournament where lasting memories are made!
St. Paul city leaders, businesses, and residents are happy that the tournament is returning. “I’m so excited that the Gus Macker tournament is returning to Saint Paul June 14th-16th. Previously held in St. Paul from 2000 to 2007, it hosted nearly 700 Teams playing 3-On-3 Basketball in our city.” Stated Dai Thao, Ward One St. Paul Councilmember, “As Ward One City Councilmember, I am so pleased that Spare Key and the Minnesota Law Enforcement Memorial Association are partnering to bring this family-friendly event back to our community. They have committed to making this one of the most inclusive Gus Macker events in the country – focusing on recruiting more female players and teams, more wheelchair basketball teams, and those from our disability community throughout Minnesota. Our entire community, from young players to the young at heart, have an opportunity to participate in a great tradition with Gus Macker. I am delighted to support and welcome this event back to Saint Paul.”
Yesterday at St. Paul College, Spare Key Director of Events Abby Hunt was joined by a number of others, including Vice President of the Minnesota Law Enforcement Memorial Association Brian Hubbard announced the return of the Gus Macker tournament.
In announcing the return of Macker back to St. Paul, Hunt emphasized the following points, “First, our goal is to increase registration of female teams for Gus Macker. Currently about 20% of teams participating at Gus Macker events across the county are female – we want to dramatically increase that here, in St. Paul. Second, we intend to work hard to ensure that this is one of the most inclusive Gus Macker events in the country – and, for that matter, one of the most inclusive 3-on-3 basketball events in the country.”
In concluding her remarks, Hunt made it clear that Macker is more than just about basketball, “Third, we want this tournament to be more than just about basketball – but to be about community – to celebrate the diversity of the Twin Cities – but also, more broadly, the diversity of Minnesota. And, to do so over a friendly – BUT COMPETITIVE – game of basketball!”
Others who participated in announcing the return of Gus Macker were:
- Sarah Curfman, Executive Director of the Down Syndrome Association of Minnesota, https://www.dsamn.org/
- Butch Raymond, Chair, St. Paul Gus Macker Community Committee
- Ricky Cheath, President of Asian Real Estate Association of America (AREAA) Twin Cities Chapter https://areaa.org/twincities/
- Jackson Larson, Spare Key Program Director and member of the Rolling Timberwolves
- Mike Whaley, Saint Paul Parks and Recreation
About the Gus Macker 3-on-3 Festival of Family Fun
Gus Macker is designed for basketball players who love the fun of the driveway game – male or female, from age 7 to 70-plus, short and tall, the most experienced or those with little or no experience who just want to play.
Through the years there have been 1,421 sanctioned Gus Macker Tournaments presented for over 670,800 teams or almost 2.7 million players and played in front of over 27.5 million spectators.
- Registration is $160.00 per team of 4 players ($40 per player)
- Teams are guaranteed at least three scheduled games each tournament
- Each Team Member receives a complimentary Gus Macker t-shirt along with a player package
- Registration link: https://www.macker.com/st-paul-mn-2019-2/
- Paper applications can be obtained and printed out at: https://www.macker.com/st-paul-mn-2019-2/
- Proceeds benefit Spare Key, www.sparekey.org and the Minnesota Law Enforcement Memorial Association, www.mnlema.org
- To Volunteer contact Jackie Le Vvintre at Jackie@sparekey.org
- For Tournament Specific Questions contact Abby Hunt at Abby@sparekey.org To learn more, please visit https://www.macker.com/
View source version on businesswire.com:https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190404005610/en/
CONTACT: Erich Mische
KEYWORD: UNITED STATES NORTH AMERICA MINNESOTA
INDUSTRY KEYWORD: HEALTH PHILANTHROPY OTHER PHILANTHROPY SPORTS BASKETBALL GENERAL HEALTH
SOURCE: Spare Key
Copyright Business Wire 2019.
PUB: 04/04/2019 12:07 PM/DISC: 04/04/2019 12:07 PM