Day in History: Local citizen awarded Distinguished Service Medal
1994 – 25 years ago
• Lorie Line in Concert will appear in Rochester for the first time. The Walking With You Tour, based on her latest release, is a high-energy musical experience, featuring Lorie’s piano, accompanied by strings, woodwinds, and percussion. Reserve seating at the Mayo Civic Center is $20.
1969 – 50 years ago
• A “Big Slipper” slide, the fourth to be built in Minnesota, has opened north of Donaldson’s at the Miracle Mile. Prices are 10 cents a slide or 12 slides for $1 for both adults and students.
• Glenda Lindorff is the valedictorian of the 1969 graduating class of Preston High School. The class salutatorian is Janelle Gatzke.
1944 – 75 years ago
• A wartime appeal to Rochester residents to quit “dining out” on Sunday is being made by the board of directors of the Rochester Chamber of Commerce. Restaurant owners are unable to find people to work. Local housewives, students and teachers are urged to seek full-time and part-time employment in restaurants and hotels to assist in the community problem.
• Sgt. Walter Theiss, who is listed as the first Wykoff man to enlist in service in this war, is now on furlough, visiting his wife and parents.
1919 – 100 years ago
• Washington reports that Dr. William J. Mayo of Rochester, formerly a colonel in the medical corps, has been awarded the Distinguished Service Medal.
• A fire prevention board for Rochester will be one of the developments in the near future. This will be brought about with cooperation of the fire department, the mayor, other city officials and citizens.
From news services
Ten years ago
President Barack Obama strode head-on into the stormy abortion debate, telling graduates at the University of Notre Dame that both sides had to stop demonizing one another. In Sri Lanka, the Tamil Tigers admitted defeat in their fierce quarter-century war for a separate homeland. Barbara Mandrell, Roy Clark and Charlie McCoy were inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame.
Five years ago
Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper signed a “Right To Try” bill allowing terminally ill patients to obtain experimental drugs without getting federal approval. Thousands of cheering supporters welcomed Narendra Modi, India’s next prime minister, on his arrival in New Delhi after leading his party to a staggering victory in national elections. California Chrome won the Preakness to keep alive his bid for horse racing’s first Triple Crown since 1978 (California Chrome would finish tied for fourth in the Belmont three weeks later.)
One year ago
With six Democrats joining Republicans in voting to confirm her, Gina Haspel won Senate confirmation to become director of the CIA. The Miss America Organization announced that it would now have women in its three top leadership positions, after an email scandal in which male officials were caught making vulgar and insulting comments about past winners.
Actor Peter Gerety is 79. Singer Taj Mahal is 77. Rock musician Bill Bruford is 70. Singer-musician George Johnson (The Brothers Johnson) is 66. TV personality Kathleen Sullivan is 66. Boxing Hall of Famer Sugar Ray Leonard is 63. Actor-comedian Bob Saget is 63. Sports announcer Jim Nantz is 60. Producer Simon Fuller (TV: “American Idol”) is 59. Singer Enya is 58. Actor-comedian Craig Ferguson is 57. Rock singer-musician Page McConnell is 56. Actor David Eigenberg is 55. Singer-musician Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails) is 54. Actress Paige Turco is 54. Rhythm-and-blues musician O’Dell (Mint Condition) is 54. Actor Hill Harper is 53. TV personality/interior designer Thom Filicia is 50. Singer Jordan Knight is 49. Rhythm-and-blues singer Darnell Van Rensalier (Shai) is 49. Actress Sasha Alexander is 46. Rock singer-musician Josh Homme is 46. Rock singer Andrea Corr (The Corrs) is 45. Actor Sendhil Ramamurthy is 45. Actress Rochelle Aytes is 43. Singer Kandi Burruss is 43. Actress Kat Foster is 41. Actress Ayda Field is 40. Actress Ginger Gonzaga is 36. Folk-rock singer/songwriter Passenger is 35. Dancer-choreographer Derek Hough is 34. Actor Tahj Mowry is 33. Actress Nikki Reed is 31. Singer Kree Harrison (TV: “American Idol”) is 29. Actress Leven Rambin is 29. Actress Samantha Browne-Walters is 28. Actor Justin Martin is 25.