Swiss Re’s Deadly Disaster List
Catastrophes with the highest number of fatalities:
1. End of August: Floods in India and Bangladesh _ 1,200.
2. Feb. 6: Floods in Mozambique, South Africa _ 920.
3. July 4: Floods in Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand and Laos _ 880.
4. March: The killing of doomsday cult members in Uganda _ 780.
5. Aug. 2: Floods in India, Nepal and Bhutan _ 621.
Costliest catastrophes to the insurance industry, in U.S. dollars:
1. Sept. 10: Tokai floods in Japan _ $1.04 billion.
2. End of October: Storms and floods across Western Europe _ $725 million.
3. Jan. 22: Winter storm, frost, ice and snow in the United States _ $550 million.
4. March 28: Tornadoes, rain and hail in the United States _ $520 million.
5. Oct.14: Floods and landslides in Italy, Switzerland and France _ $450 million.