Related topics

Small Fire Put Out at the Pentagon

January 19, 2006

ARLINGTON, Va. (AP) _ A fire broke out at the Pentagon Thursday morning in a third-floor kitchen stove.

The blaze was quelled, said Arlington County Fire Department spokesman Tom Polera, but the process of cleaning up and checking the damaged area for hot spots was continuing.

The fire spread to ductwork that passed through the fourth and fifth floors to the roof, authorities said. Asbestos surrounding the ductwork complicated the cleanup and areas of the building near the ductwork were temporarily closed, Polera said.

No one was injured in the fire which caused an estimated $200,000 in damage.

Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld was having a breakfast meeting with members of Congress in a part of the Pentagon unaffected by the fire, Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman said. The fire did not disrupt Rumsfeld’s schedule.

Update hourly