Ex-N.Y. Post Editor Drops Lawsuit
NEW YORK (AP) _ A former high-ranking editor at the New York Post said Wednesday she has dropped an $8 million suit against the paper in which she claimed she had been forced out of her job because she was a woman and an American.
The lawsuit by Maralyn Matlick, a 25-year veteran of the tabloid, claimed she was dismissed last year because publisher Lachlan Murdoch wanted only Australian and British men in top editor jobs.
But Matlick said in a statement she had dropped the suit in exchange for severance pay from the paper. She did not say how much it was, and Post spokeswoman Suzy Halpin, who issued Matlick’s statement, did not immediately return a call.
``It is now my belief that at no time while I was employed by the Post did the newspaper make any decison concerning my employment that was based on my being a woman or being an American,″ Matlick said.
The suit, filed April 1 in Manhattan federal court, claims Murdoch boasted of plans to install an all-male, entirely Australian and British team to head the paper.
The publisher is the son of Rupert Murdoch, head of News Corp., which owns the Post.