The Latest: Suspect surrenders in shooting of boy in Compton
COMPTON, Calif. (AP) — The Latest on the fatal shooting of a 3-year-old boy in Compton (all times local):
The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department says a man suspected in the fatal shooting of a 3-year-old boy in Compton has turned himself in.
A department statement says 29-year-old Dwayne Christopher Ward turned himself in to homicide detectives at 2:30 p.m. Monday and has been taken to a sheriff’s station where he’s being held without bail.
Investigators had earlier withheld the suspect’s name but said they were in contact with his family and attorney to arrange a surrender.
Authorities say the boy was shot after an argument between two men in a parking lot Saturday evening. One man opened fire as the other man got into a car with his girlfriend. A bullet struck the child, who was in the car.
Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials say detectives have identified a man suspected of fatally shooting a 3-year-old boy during an argument in Compton.
Investigators have not named the suspect but say they are in contact with his family and his attorney to facilitate the man’s surrender.
Deputy Charles Moore says the dispute between two men in a parking lot Saturday evening ended with one man opening fire as the other got into a car driven by his girlfriend.
Moore says a bullet struck the child, who was in the car. Responding deputies rushed to the boy to a hospital, where he died.
Officials didn’t say what prompted the argument between the men.
Dozens of mourners gathered at the shooting scene Sunday evening for a candlelight vigil.