Correction: Drum Corps Leader-Abuse Allegations story
ALLENTOWN, Pa. (AP) — In a story April 12 about sex misconduct allegations against the leader of a drum corps, The Associated Press misidentified the newspaper that interviewed one of the accusers. It was the Philadelphia Inquirer, not the Philadelphia Tribune.
A corrected version of the story is below:
Director of renowned drum corps out days after appointment
A man chosen to replace a champion Pennsylvania-based drum and bugle corps director who resigned amid sexual misconduct allegations has now been suspended himself.
ALLENTOWN, Pa. (AP) — A man chosen to replace a champion Pennsylvania-based drum and bugle corps director who resigned amid sexual misconduct allegations was suspended himself Tuesday due to claims he was told of the previous director’s harassment and failed to act.
Sean King was tapped to lead the parent organization that runs the Cadets — Youth Education in the Arts — after George Hopkins stepped down last week. Eleven women have accused Hopkins of sexual harassment or abuse.
One of Hopkins’ accusers, Jessica Beyer, told the Philadelphia Inquirer she reported to King several years ago that Hopkins was sending her text messages that made her uncomfortable.
Beyer said King responded with, “You know how George is.”
Sean King contends he was never told of claims of sexual abuse against Hopkins.
Hopkins has not responded to the woman’s allegations. He hasn’t been charged and denies criminal wrongdoing.
Youth Education in the Arts board members resigned Tuesday in connection with the allegations.
The chairman of the new board of directors, Doug Rutherford, said they take all complaints seriously and will investigate in a “procedural fair manner.”
Drum Corps International placed The Cadets on probation Wednesday. The organization has imposed a series of requirements the new board must follow before they are allowed to participate in the summer season.