WASHINGTON (AP) _ The Navy on Thursday announced which 11 ships it will retire next year as part of a four-year plan to decommission 32 aging destroyers.

The overall plan, approved earlier this year by Defense Secretary Dick Cheney as part of a budget-cutting compromise, calls for 32 guided-missile destroyers in the so-called Charles F. Adams and Coontz classes to be retired over the next four years.

On Thursday, the Navy said 11 of those 32 destroyers would be decommissioned during the course of the next fiscal year, which begins Oct. 1.

Six of those ships are based in Norfolk, Va.; two in Charleston, S.C.; two in San Diego, Calif., and one in Mayport, Fla.

The Norfolk vessels are the John King, Lawrence, Richard E. Byrd, Claude V. Ricketts, Farragut and Coontz.

The Charleston ships are the Dewey and the Sellers.

The San Diego destroyers are the Henry B. Wilson and the Hoel.

The Mayport ship is the Charles F. Adams.

''The final disposition of each ship has not been determined,'' the service said.

''Crew members assigned to the destroyers will be reassigned to other Navy commands based on manning priorities, with every consideration given to satisfy individual duty preferences and to minimize family and command disruption.''

Beyond those retirements, the Navy said it also planned to transfer four smaller Knox-class frigates to the Naval Reserve during the coming fiscal year They are the Hepburn and Cook, both based in San Diego; the W.S. Sims, based in Mayport, and the Ainsworth, based in Norfolk.