Mets GM Resolves Potential Lawsuit
NEW YORK (AP) _ A former New York Mets employee has withdrawn her threat of a sexual harassment lawsuit against the team and general manager Steve Phillips, apparently for a payment.
The threat of a suit caused Phillips to take an eight-day leave of absence earlier this month. When Phillips returned Nov. 16, a lawyer for the woman, who once worked in the team’s Florida office, threatened to file suit within 24 hours.
Management of the team had maintained no harassment occurred. The woman left the Mets about a year ago.
``While the organization’s position has not change, we felt it was best of all concerned to put the matter behind us,″ Mets senior vice president David Howard said.
In taking the leave of absence, Phillips acknowledged he had an affair with the woman but said it was consensual. He also admitted having other affairs.
Neither the Mets nor the woman’s lawyer, Dominic Barbara, disclosed details of the settlement other than to say there will not be a lawsuit.
A baseball official familiar with the case, speaking on the condition he not be identified, confirmed the sides had been discussing a payment to head off a suit.
Phillips and the Mets would not comment on the settlement, team spokesman Jay Horwitz said. Barbara also would not discuss it, his office said.