Related topics

Life Resumes to Normal Day After Coup Attempt With AM-Philippines, Bjt

August 29, 1987

MANILA, Philippines (AP) _ Colorful jeepneys clogged Manila’s bustling streets, music videos blared from television and business was brisk at the girlie bars Saturday, hours after a bloody rebellion wracked the capital.

One day after troops loyal to President Corazon Aquino put down the gravest threat yet to her 18-month government, little evidence was visible of the failed coup that killed at least 25 people and injured hundreds, including many civilians.

Armed forces blocked access to streets leading to Malacanang Palace, but few troops were visible elsewhere in the sprawling city.

Manila’s daily newspapers carried extensive coverage of the rebellion under big headlines, but the People’s Journal Tonight managed to place on its front page a provocative picture of a bikini-clad woman several times larger than an adjacent picture of coup leader, Col. Gregorio Honasan.

Honasan remains at large, as do an unknown number of rebels.

Television stations stopped broadcasting a continuous stream of coup attempt reports and went back to typical midday fare - music videos, soap operas, soap box races and movies, including an English-dubbed Chinese martial arts movie titled ″The Taichi Monk.″

Radio stations returned to light programming Saturday after broadcasting continual reports on fighting the day before.

The city’s streets were clogged with jeepneys - small trucks that provide Manila’s major public transportation - filled to capacity. People crowded the sidewalks and some parks.

About 50 midafternoon customers were seen in the Hollywood Show Palace, a bar in the famed Ermita entertainment district. As five bikini-clad dancers performed to the throbbing beat of disco music beneath blinking colored lights, operations manager Annie Borja said the attempted coup didn’t affect business.

″Yesterday, even though there was fighting, we still had a lot of people here,″ she said.

But Crisanto Guiao had a different story to tell from Wendy’s restaurant, across the street from where fierce fighting occurred early Friday near Malacanang.

The 24-hour restaurant closed for several hours Friday because of the skirmishing. When it reopened ″only a few people came,″ said Guiao, the restaurant’s assistant manager.

Guiao said business returned to normal Saturday, but that evidence of the fighting was still visible.

Blood stains marked sidewalks where civilians caught in the cross fire fell. Several windows were shot out in a nearby bank.

″We thought it might be the start of a civil war,″ Guiao said.

Update hourly