Related topics

Faulty ceiling light to blame for building fire

December 31, 2018

GARDINER, Maine (AP) — The Maine State Fire Marshal’s Office says a faulty ceiling light is to blame for a fire that broke out at a historic building in downtown Gardiner.

The fire was reported just after 3 a.m. Friday, and it took crews from several fire departments hours to put out the blaze.

Investigators say the fire started in the ceiling in one of the offices on the second floor of the building and have deemed the fire accidental.

No one was inside the building at the time.

The brick building holds a Domino’s Pizza, law offices and other businesses, and it dates back to the 1850s.

Update hourly