AP NEWS

Blackshear evacuated

November 13, 2018

Blackshear Elementary Magnet, 501 E. Dixie Blvd., was evacuated Monday morning after smoke was seen in the school’s front office.

Odessa Fire & Rescue responded, and within 30 minutes, deemed the building safe for everyone to return to class, a news release stated.

It appears the motor of a heating/air unit on the roof burned up and sent smoke into the vents in the office. After the initial evacuation, the students were taken to the gym at Carver Early Education Center and the cafeteria at Milam to wait for the all-clear, the release stated.

AP RADIO
Update hourly