10 Things to Know for Wednesday
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and stories that will be talked about on Wednesday:
1. WHAT WEIGHED MOST ON VOTERS’ MINDS
Preliminary results of exit polls show 6 in 10 ranked the economy as the top issue.
2. HOW THE CANDIDATES SPENT THE LAST MOMENTS OF THEIR CAMPAIGNS
Romney squeezed in another round of last-minute campaigning in Ohio and Pennsylvania, while Obama made get-out-the-vote calls from a campaign office near his home in Chicago.
3. WHEN THE ELECTION WASN’T
One Florida elections office mistakenly told voters in robocalls the election was on Wednesday, one of sporadic problems reported at polling places around the country.
4. A WARNING ABOUT SYRIA
A U.N.-Arab League envoy warns the country could become another Somalia — where al-Qaida-linked militants and warlords battled for decades.
5. WHAT SOME NYC RESIDENTS FEAR MORE THAN NEXT STORM
Richard Chan is worried his Staten Island home could be looted if he evacuates. And he’s not alone.
6. GRIPPING TESTIMONY IN AFGHAN SLAYING TRIAL
A medic says he asked Staff Sgt. Robert Bales why he was covered in blood and was told, “If I tell you, you guys will have to testify against me.”
7. HOW RUSSIA’S DEFENSE CHIEF SEALED HIS FATE
Anatoly Serdyukov demanded higher quality and cheaper prices from the military industry — ruffling powerful business interests and prompting his firing by Putin, experts say.
8. LOOKING OLD FOR YOUR AGE MAY SIGNAL HEART TROUBLE, RESEARCHERS SAY
A small consolation: Gray hair seems to be just an ordinary consequence of aging and doesn’t correlate with heart risks.
9. PUZZLING CAUSE FOR FIRE AT A NORTH CAROLINA HOSPITAL
The blaze that killed a patient and injured three workers started during a defibrillation, an official says.
10. MOTHER OF ACTRESS-MODEL BROOKE SHIELDS DIES
Teri Shields caused a stir when she allowed her 11-year-old daughter to be cast as a prostitute in 1978′s “Pretty Baby.”