Related topics

Marquette 80, No. 21 Louisville 79, 2OT

February 29, 1996

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) _ Aaron Hutchins hit a 3-pointer from the right corner with three seconds left in the second overtime, lifting Marquette to an 80-79 victory over No. 21 Louisville on Wednesday night.

Hutchins’ game-winner spoiled the return of Louisville center Samaki Walker, who had missed 10 consecutive games while the school conducted an investigation into the purchase of an automobile by his father. Walker finished with 24 points and 12 rebounds.

Louisville (19-9, 10-4 Conference USA) took a 79-77 after Tick Rogers made two free throws after picking off a pass and being fouled by Anthony Peiper while driving to the basket with 8.8 seconds to go.

After a Louisville timeout, Hutchins took the inbounds pass and drove down the right side and launched the 3-pointer to give Marquette (19-6, 9-4) its sixth victory in its last seven games. Louisville’s Alvin Sims lofted a shot from midcourt that was way off the mark as time expired.

Hutchins, who was 5-of-6 on 3-pointers in helping Marquette to a 37-29 halftime lead, finished with 23 points. Roney Eford collected 14 points and 12 rebounds, while Pieper finished with 13 points.

Damion Dantzler, whose tip-in with 14 seconds sent the game into a second overtime, scored 18 points, while DeJuan Wheat added 14 and Brian Kiser 12 for Louisville.

Marquette overcame 34 percent shooting (23-of-67) by making 12 of 13 shots from 3-point range and 21 of 27 free throws. Louisville shot 44 percent (29-of-66), but made just six of 19 3-pointers and missed 10 of 25 foul shots.

Pieper appeared to have the game iced for Marquette when he made two free throws for a 63-61 lead with 4.3 seconds remaining in regulation. But Wheat was fouled by Hutchins while bringing the ball up the court at 1.9 seconds and made both foul shots.

Pieper’s 3-pointer with 36 seconds left in the overtime gave Marquette a 69-67 lead. Dantzler came through with a tip-in on B.J. Flynn’s miss 22 seconds later to force the second overtime.

Louisville, losing its second straight game, opened a 77-74 lead on Walker’s short hook with 1:31 left in the second extra period. Marquette’s Chris Crawford countered with a 3 at 1:14 to tie the game.