Related topics

Second Police Officer Charged In Kidnap-Slayings Kills Self

December 6, 1987

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP) _ A police sergeant wanted in connection with three kidnap-slayings killed himself with his service revolver minutes before he was to be arrested, federal police said Saturday.

Sgt. Mario Bivorlaski fired a bullet into his head Friday night as officers surrounded a house where he was hiding in the Atlantic beach resort of Las Toninas, 200 miles southeast of Buenos Aires, police reported.

Bivorlaski was one of eight officers and former officers accused in the kidnap-slayings for ransom. He was one of two still at large and was the second to commit suicide. Alberto Caeta, also a sergeant, hanged himself with strips of gauze bandages in his prison cell Nov. 13.

All eight men were accused in the killings of wealthy businessmen Osvaldo Sivak and Benjamin Neuman, and Eduardo Oxenford, son of former Industry Minister and businessman Valentin Oxenford.

The bodies of Sivak and Neuman were found Nov.6, buried in a field 30 miles south of Buenos Aires. Both were slain with single shots to the head. Oxenford’s body was found Nov. 13, buried in a yard in the suburb of Lomas de Zamora.

The bodies were discovered after ex-policeman Jose Lorea, who once served as a bodyguard for Sivak, admitted his involvement and that of others in the cases.

Sivak, 46, who had been a president of the Buenos Aires Building Society, was kidnapped twice. In 1979 he was freed after his family paid $1 million ransom. In 1985 the family paid a ransom of $1.1 million, but police said Sivak was slain a day later.

Neuman, director of the Israeli Hospital and head of a wood processing plant, was kidnapped in 1982. His family paid a $300,000 ransom but he also was slain, police said.

The family of Oxenford, 26, has never revealed whether it paid any ransom after he was kidnapped in 1979.

Relatives of the victims had repeatedly claimed policemen were involved in the kidnappings, but authorities rejected the accusations until Lorea confessed and told investigators where the bodies were buried..

Update hourly