AP NEWS

Mets OF Conforto activated after concussion, OF Davis cut

May 26, 2019
1 of 6
New York Mets right fielder Michael Conforto, right, collides with second baseman Robinson Cano as they fail to catch a fly ball that was hit by Washington Nationals' Howie Kendrick in the fifth inning of a baseball game, Thursday, May 16, 2019, in Washington. Conforto left the game after the play. (AP Photo/Patrick Semansky)

NEW YORK (AP) — The New York Mets have activated outfielder Michael Conforto from the seven-day injured list and put him in the starting lineup against the Detroit Tigers.

Conforto cleared Major League Baseball’s concussion protocol and was batting third and playing right field on Sunday.

The Mets designated outfielder Rajai Davis for assignment.

Conforto suffered a concussion when he collided with teammate Robinson Cano chasing a flyball on May 16. Manager Mickey Callaway says Conforto is “full go” with no limitations.

The 26-year-old Conforto is batting .271 with nine home runs and 21 RBIs.

Davis connected for a pinch-hit, three-run homer Wednesday in his first at-bat for the Mets. He had been called up from Triple-A Syracuse that day, arrived at Citi Field during the game and then homered. Davis went 2 for 7 with New York.

Callaway said the Mets hope that no other team claims the 38-year-old Davis and that he remains in the organization. He said it was a tough decision to cut Davis, and that the Mets wanted to take a longer look at newly acquired outfielder Aaron Altherr.

“I signed here to play here,” Davis said as he packed his bag inside the clubhouse.

“I’m playing,” he said. “Nothing wrong with me.”

___

More AP MLB: https://apnews.com/MLB and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

All contents © copyright 2019 The Associated Press.All rights reserved.