Global Opioid Use Disorder (OUD) Opportunity Analysis and Forecasts to 2027: Reformulations of Buprenorphine Will Drive the OUD Market Forward - ResearchAndMarkets.com
DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Mar 5, 2019--The “Opioid Use Disorder (OUD): Opportunity Analysis and Forecasts to 2027” report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com’s offering.
The Opioid Use Disorder Market (OUD) is forecast to experience solid growth over the next 10 years; growing from $1.8bn in 2017, to $4.8bn in 2027 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 10.3%.
According to latest report, “Opioid Use Disorder (OUD): Opportunity Analysis and Forecasts to 2027”, the opioid epidemic in the US meant the region contributes 88.8% of sales to the global market, and the government is taking several steps to introduce policies which control the crisis. These policies, as well as the launch of four late stage pipeline agents, will be the key drivers of growth in the OUD market.
Opioid Use Disorder is a relatively new term described in the new DSM-5, it combines aspects of opioid addiction and opioid dependence; it must be noted that it differs from Opioid Withdrawal Syndrome (OWS) - OUD is characterised by dependence on opioids, while OWS is characterised by withdrawal symptoms.
Current treatments are based around maintenance therapy with an opioid agonist, buprenorphine and methadone, or an opioid antagonist, naltrexone. In the case of an overdose, naloxone can be used as an acute rescue medication, and in some cases it is used in combination with buprenorphine. Key Opinion Leaders (KOLs) have stated that these treatments provide adequate cover for patients, which means the main unmet needs in the field are environmental. These include a need to improve treatment access for those addicted to opioids and a need to improve physician prescribing habits, to prevent the flow of opioids to the public.
There are two distinct strategies in the pipeline, and they can be neatly divided into late stage strategy and early stage strategies. The late stage focuses on reformulations of currently marketed drugs, so the route of administration is more favourable to patients. In contrast, the early stage strategies focus on novel mechanisms of action, aimed at targeting the root cause of addiction.
Moving forward, the unmet needs are likely to only be partially met in the OUD market; even if policies and training are properly structured and implemented results are only expected to be seen over the long term. In order for these initiatives to be most successful they will need a collaborative effort between pharmaceutical companies, the government, and healthcare providers.
(*)The markets included in this report are the countries that have the highest rates of opioid use; in order, these are the US, Canada, Germany, Denmark, Belgium, Austria, Switzerland, and Australia. In contrast, Japan is one of the lowest prescribers of opioids in the world, and as such, it has not been included in this report.
- Overview of OUD, including epidemiology, etiology, pathophysiology, symptoms, diagnosis, and disease management.
- Annualized OUD therapeutics market revenue, cost of therapy per patient, and treatment usage patterns in three patient segments (mild, moderate, severe) forecast from 2017 to 2027.
- Key topics covered include strategic competitor assessment, market characterization, unmet needs, clinical trial mapping and implications for the OUD therapeutics market.
- Pipeline analysis: comprehensive data assessing emerging trends and mechanisms of action under development for OUD therapy. The most promising candidates in Phase III development are profiled.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global OUD therapeutics market. Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
Reasons to buy
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of pipeline products and technologies, and by identifying the companies with the most robust pipeline.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global OUD therapeutics market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the global OUDtherapeutics market in the future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analysing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments and strategic partnerships.
Key Topics Covered:
1 Table of Contents
1.1 List of Tables
1.2 List of Figures
2 Opioid Use Disorder: Executive Summary
2.1 Reformulations of Buprenorphine Will Drive the OUD Market Forward
2.2 Late-Stage Pipeline Focus Remains on Reformulations to Reduce Likelihood of Abuse, While Early-Stage Looks to Novel MOAs
2.3 Environmental Unmet Needs of Greater Importance Than Clinical Needs
2.4 Experienced and New Players Go Head to Head with Buprenorphine Reformulations
2.5 What Do Physicians Think?
3.2 Related Reports
4 Disease Overview
4.1 Etiology and Pathophysiology
4.2 Classification or Staging Systems
5.1 Disease Background
5.2 Risk Factors and Comorbidities
5.3 Global and Historical Trends
5.4 Forecast Methodology
5.5 Epidemiological Forecast for POUD (2017-2027)
5.5.1 One-Year Total Prevalent Cases of POUD
5.5.2 One-Year Total Prevalent Cases of NMPOUD
5.5.3 Age-Specific One-Year Total Prevalent Cases of POUD
5.5.4 Age-Specific One-Year Total Prevalent Cases of NMPOUD
5.5.5 Sex-Specific One-Year Total Prevalent Cases of POUD
5.5.6 Sex-Specific One-Year Total Prevalent Cases of NMPOUD
5.5.7 One-Year Total Prevalent Cases of POUD by Severity
5.5.8 One-Year Total Prevalent Cases of NMPOUD by Severity
5.6.1 Epidemiological Forecast Insight
5.6.2 Limitations of the Analysis
5.6.3 Strengths of the Analysis
6 Current Treatment Options
7 Unmet Needs and Opportunity Assessment
7.2 Novel Mechanisms of Action
7.3 Physician Education on Opioid Treatment
7.4 Biomarkers to Identify Patients Most at Risk of Developing Addiction
7.5 Removal of Access Barriers
8 R&D Strategies
8.1.1 Drug Formulations That Have Less Potential for Abuse
8.1.2 Novel Mechanisms of Action
8.1.3 Extended-Release Drugs That Improve Compliance
8.2 Clinical Trials Design
8.2.4 Patient Population
9 Pipeline Assessment
9.2 Innovative Early-Stage Approaches
9.3 Other Drugs in Development
10 Pipeline Valuation Analysis
10.1 Clinical Benchmark of Key Pipeline Drugs
10.2 Commercial Benchmark of Key Pipeline Drugs
10.3 Competitive Assessment
10.4 Top-Line 10-Year Forecast
11.3.1 Forecasting Methodology
11.3.2 Diagnosed Patients
11.3.3 Percent Drug-Treated Patients
11.3.4 Drugs Included in Each Therapeutic Class
11.3.5 Launch and Patent Expiry Dates
11.3.6 General Pricing Assumptions
11.3.7 Individual Drug Assumptions
11.3.8 Generic Erosion
11.3.9 Pricing of Pipeline Agents
11.4 Primary Research - KOLs Interviewed for This Report
11.5 Primary Research - Prescriber Survey
11.6 About the Authors
11.6.2 Therapy Area Director
11.6.4 Managing Epidemiologist
11.6.5 Global Director of Therapy Analysis and Epidemiology
11.6.6 Global Head and EVP of Healthcare Operations and Strategy
- Hikma Pharmaceuticals
- Titan Pharmaceuticals
- BioDelivery Sciences
- Teva Pharmaceuticals
- Kandy Therapeutics
- Amygalda Neurosciences
- iX Biopharma
- Insys Therapeutics
- Relmanda Therapeutics
- Savant HWP
- Beijing Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology
- Osmotica Pharmaceutical
- Aoxing Pharmaceutical
- Mount Sinai Hospital
- Bristol Myers Squibb
- Molteni Farmaceutici
For more information about this report visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/kfttct/global_opioid_use?w=4
View source version on businesswire.com:https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190305005626/en/
Laura Wood, Senior Press Manager
For E.S.T Office Hours Call 1-917-300-0470
For U.S./CAN Toll Free Call 1-800-526-8630
For GMT Office Hours Call +353-1-416-8900
Related Topics:Addiction Disorders Drugs
INDUSTRY KEYWORD: HEALTH PHARMACEUTICAL
SOURCE: Research and Markets
Copyright Business Wire 2019.
PUB: 03/05/2019 10:03 AM/DISC: 03/05/2019 10:03 AM