Related topics

Investigators: Two Were Hired To Kill Sheriff For $20,000

February 1, 1989

NEW ORLEANS (AP) _ Two men accused of planting a remote-control bomb that seriously injured a sheriff were hired to kill him for $20,000, federal authorities charged in court papers today.

The complaint was made public one day after the men, one of them a former police officer, were arrested in the bombing in December that nearly ripped off Lafourche Parish Sheriff Duffy Breaux’s foot and seriously injured a deputy.

The complaint includes an affidavit based on information from an unidentified source on the suspects, Marshall K. McClendon, 42, of Slaughter and John G. Tullier Jr., 23, of St. Amant.

The document does not say who wanted Breaux killed or why.

″We feel we have a lot more work to do,″ said Mike Hall, agent in charge of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms office in New Orleans. ″I would just say we definitely would anticipate more arrests.″

McClendon and Tullier were to appear today before a magistrate in Baton Rouge for a bail hearing on bombing and conspiracy charges.

According to federal agents, McClendon is a former police officer in New Orleans and Baton Rouge. He also held a Lafourche Parish Sheriff’s commission and was involved with a regional drug task force there in the early 1970s.

Tullier was identified as an unemployed instrument fitter.

If convicted, they could get up to 25 years in prison and a $25,000 fine.

The federal complaint said the men collected $8,000 and were to receive $12,000 more once Breaux was dead.

The complaint said the bomb was a box holding two pipes, each loaded with explosives, nails and bullets. It appeared to have been detonated by a model airplane remote control device.

Breaux, 60, and part-time deputy Daniel Leche, 62, were injured as they left a Christmas party for senior citizens at the Thibodaux Civic Center.

Breaux noticed a paper bag by his car and pushed it with his left foot, authorities said. The pipe bomb inside exploded, spraying him with nails and bullets.

Doctors at Thibodaux General Hospital said Breaux almost died of shock and loss of blood. They reconnected his foot and predicted he will regain 90 percent use of it within a year. He was discharged from the hospital last month.

Leche was released after two days in the hospital.