13 Sick Children Selected to See Pontiff
PHOENIX, Ariz. (AP) _ Thirteen children, all patients at St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center, were selected to meet Pope John Paul II when he visits the hospital today.
The pontiff will visit three of the children in their individual rooms and will see the others together in a playroom.
The three children scheduled to meet the pope in their hospital rooms were identified Sunday as:
- Johnny Adrian, 15, of Phoenix. Adrian was diagnosed in December 1985 as having a brain tumor. Although his condition has been called terminal, his mother, Hope Adrian, said she belives her son is ″going to be here for quite a while.″
″I know my son is still here because of God,″ she said.
- Brooke Johnson, age 2 1/2 months, of Phoenix. She was born three months premature on June 29 and weighed only one-pound, five-ounces, her mother, Debby Johnson, said.
The child currently weighs two-pounds, 10-ounces and remains in the hospital’s neonatal intensive care unit, Mrs. Johnson said.
- Issis ″Lottie″ Velasquez, 6, of Phoenix. Lottie has been hospitalized at St. Joseph’s since April, when she was paralyzed from the neck down as the result of a traffic accident. She is confined to a wheelchair and cannot speak. She will be accompanied by her mother, Norma Romero.
The 10 children who were to meet the pope in the playroom were identified as:
- Veronica Cabrera, 2, daughter of Pete and Yolanda Cabrera of Phoenix. She was born with a degenerative disease called arthrogryposis.
- Kristina Jones, 7, the daughter of Sandra and Owen Jones of Scottsdale. She was injured in a traffic accident in Mexico last month and is a patient at Barrow Neurological Institute.
- Bryon Carpenter, 14, the son of Amy Carpenter of Mesa. Bryon suffered a cerebral hemorrhage on Sept. 3 and is expected to be released from the hospital on Tuesday.
- Chris Montano, 13, the son of Betty Penunuri of Phoenix. Chris suffers from spina bifida and has been a patient at St. Joseph’s since October 1986.
- Sara Slater, 5, the daughter of Stephen and Sian Slater of Phoenix. She was born with gastrointestinal abnormalities.
- Bonie Trostel, 7, the daughter of Sue and Leigh Trostel of Peoria. Bonnie has asthma and has been a patient at the hospital since Sept. 10. She is scheduled to be released on Tuesday.
- Benard Lamb III, 9 months, the son of Mary Douglas of Phoenix. He underwent heart surgery in August.
- Darren Wilson, 8, the son of Trudy Wilson of Phoenix. Darren suffers from sickle cell anemia.
- Michael Brutcher, 3, the son of Cathy and Jeff Brutcher of Roosevelt. Michael was born with a malformed esophagus and also suffers from respiratory problems.
- Tracy Fleming, 13, the son of Valery and Dan Fleming of Mesa. Tracy was born with a deformed spine and has undergone corrective surgery at St. Joseph’s.