AP NEWS

Martin O’Malley rules out 2020 run at Trump

January 3, 2019

Former Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley said Thursday he’s not going to make another run for president, saying his “usefulness as a candidate” has ended.

He was a candidate in 2016 but failed to gain much traction in a small field dominated by former eventual Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton and her chief rival, Sen. Bernard Sanders.

Mr. O’Malley, 55, had been campaigning for Democrats in the 2018 midterm elections, looking to boost his profile and see whether he could make a credible run again. He decided he couldn’t.

“I’m proud of the substance and vision we put forward in 2016 and the record of progress from 15 years of executive experience, but after all we have been through as a nation America is looking for a candidacy newer than I can offer,” he said.

He joins New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo as the big Democratic names to take a pass on a race that’s shaping up as one of the highest-powered fields in history.

A former vice president, a former first lady, several former Cabinet secretaries, current and former governors, perhaps a dozen members of Congress and the odd billionaire or two are looking at running against President Trump in 2020.

AP RADIO
Update hourly