Day in History: State Fair workers routed from beds in draft raid
1993 – 25 years ago
• A new law in Minnesota states that students now face felony charges for bringing weapons to school.
• A new federal study says that if ethanol production is doubled by 1995 it would create 28,000 jobs, many in the Midwest.
1968 – 50 years ago
• Football coaches John Drews of John Marshall, Neal Davis of Mayo High, Joe Mayer of Lourdes and Cy Champs of Rochester State Junior College and their staffs will be guests at the Rochester Jaycees’ annual corn and beer feed in the 4-H building at the Olmsted County Fairgrounds.
• Frank Hentges of Rochester rallied and won the Elks Duffer’s Day golf tournament at Eastwood.
1943 – 75 years ago
• Hundreds of state fair workers were routed abruptly from their beds in trains, coaches, tents and trailers at 5 a.m. today as 20 peace officers made a surprise raid looking for draft dodgers. One man was held for not having proper draft credentials but two were arrested for possession of unregistered tires.
• Of the 17 persons arrested for violation of the blackout ordinance, 16 paid fines of $5 each. One entered a plea of not guilty.
1918 – 100 years ago
• A presentation of the war aims of the Young Women’s Christian Association was given yesterday afternoon at the armory by Mrs. C. H. Mayo. Mrs. Mayo is member at large in the Y.W.C.A. war work. She discussed the topic of women workers in war time.
From news service
Ten years ago: Surrounded by an enormous, adoring crowd at Invesco Field in Denver, Barack Obama accepted the Democratic presidential nomination, promising what he called a clean break from the “broken politics in Washington and the failed policies of George W. Bush.” Former U.S. Marine Jose Luis Nazario Jr., accused of killing unarmed Iraqi detainees in the Iraqi city of Fallujah, was acquitted of voluntary manslaughter in Riverside, Calif.
Five years ago: A military jury sentenced Maj. Nidal Hasan to death for the 2009 shooting rampage at Fort Hood that claimed 13 lives. On the 50th anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.’s “I Have a Dream” speech at the Lincoln Memorial, President Barack Obama stood on the same steps as he challenged new generations to seize the cause of racial equality.
One year ago: Floodwaters reached the rooflines of single-story homes as Hurricane Harvey poured rain on the Houston area for a fourth consecutive day; thousands of people had been rescued from the flooding. The Navy said divers had recovered the remains of all 10 sailors who had been missing after the USS John S. McCain and an oil tanker collided near Singapore nearly a week earlier.
Today’s birthdays: Actor Sonny Shroyer is 83. Actress Marla Adams is 80. Actor Ken Jenkins is 78. Former Defense Secretary William S. Cohen is 78. Actor David Soul is 75. Former pop singer-musician Honey Lantree (The Honeycombs) is 75. Former MLB manager and player Lou Piniella is 75. Actress Barbara Bach is 72. Actress Debra Mooney is 71. Singer Wayne Osmond (The Osmonds) is 67. Actor Daniel Stern is 61. Olympic gold medal figure skater Scott Hamilton is 60. Actor John Allen Nelson is 59. Actress Emma Samms is 58. Actress Jennifer Coolidge is 57. Movie director David Fincher is 56. Actress Amanda Tapping is 53. Country singer Shania (shah-NY’-uh) Twain is 53. Actor Billy Boyd is 50. Actor Jack Black is 49. Actor Jason Priestley is 49. Actor Daniel Goddard (TV: “The Young and the Restless”) is 47. Olympic gold medal swimmer Janet Evans is 47. Actor J. August Richards is 45. Rock singer-musician Max Collins (Eve 6) is 40. Actress Carly Pope is 38. Country singer Jake Owen is 37. Country singer LeAnn Rimes is 36. Actress Kelly Thiebaud is 36. Actor Alfonso Herrera is 35. Actress Sarah Roemer is 34. Actor Armie Hammer is 32. Rock singer Florence Welch (Florence and the Machine) is 32. Actress Shalita Grant is 30. Country-pop singer Cassadee Pope (TV: “The Voice”) is 29. Actress Katie Findlay is 28. Actor/singer Samuel Larsen is 27. Actor Kyle Massey is 27. Actress Quvenzhane Wallis is 15. Reality TV star Alana Thompson, AKA “Honey Boo Boo,” is 13.