AP NEWS
Related topics

Todd Lyght OKs Deal With Rams

August 3, 2000

MACOMB, Ill. (AP) _ Cornerback Todd Lyght agreed to accept the St. Louis Rams’ one-year tender offer as a transition player and reported to camp Wednesday night.

Lyght, who refused to report to camp in hopes of getting a long-term deal, agreed to the offer of $4.042 million.

The Rams said a long-term deal was still possible for the 31-year-old Lyght, who was in the Pro Bowl for the first time last season.

``We might continue talks,″ Rams president Jay Zygmunt said. ``But we just want to get him in here and go from there.″

League rules stipulate that the Rams would not have a franchise player designation available next year unless a longer-term deal was negotiated after signing the one-year contract. The Rams did agree that if Lyght plays out the season on the one-year deal, they would not place either the franchise or transition tag on him after the season.

``It’s great that Todd is coming in,″ coach Mike Martz said. ``That was always my intention. He is important to the success of our team.″

Martz had met with former New York Giants cornerback Phillippi Sparks Monday and Tuesday in the event that Lyght remained out of camp. Martz also talked with Lyght on Tuesday night and reiterated that the Sparks discussions were ``not being used as leverage with Todd. I want him here.″

With Lyght reporting, the Rams no longer have interest in Sparks. Lyght had been the final holdout.

``Not many teams have two good cornerbacks,″ Martz said. ``And we have three strong ones,″ referring to Dexter McCleon and Dre’ Bly.

``We have our leader back, the guy who ties it all together,″ McCleon said

Lyght was expected to be on the practice field Thursday morning, but was not expected to play in St. Louis’ first exhibition game against the Oakland Raiders on Saturday night.

AP RADIO
Update hourly