Related topics

Temple 23, Army 20

September 24, 1994

WEST POINT, N.Y. (AP) _ Henry Burris completed a 5-yard touchdown pass to fullback Sidney Morse with 1:14 remaining Saturday, giving Temple a stirring 23-20 victory over Army.

Temple (2-1) forged ahead 13-0 by intermission, then watched Army (1-2) storm back to take a 20-16 lead before rallying for its first victory over the Black Knights in four meetings.

Army appeared to have the game in hand when Kevin Vaughn scored on a 1-yard run with 6:09 left. But Burris and some trickery foiled the Knights.

Facing fourth-and-7 at their 31 with time running out, tight end Larry Walding, a former high school quarterback, stepped in front of punter John Shay to grab the snap and hit Phil Cox, usually a defensive back, with a pass over the middle for a 20-yard gain to the Army 49.

Burris, who completed 21-of-39 passes for 218 yards, then hit Troy Kersey with a 24-yarder over the middle to the Army 5, and Morse scored one play later, thwarting an impressive comeback led by Ronnie McAda.

Donald Augustus provided the spark for the Knights, blocking a punt by Shay with 6:05 left in the third quarter. Army took over at the Temple 17, and Abel Young scored three plays later on a 6-yard run.

Richard Maston’s third field goal of the game gave the Owls a 16-7 lead with 1:51 to play in the third.

Then the Army wishbone, held to just 92 yards in the first half, went 90 yards on nine plays in just 3:32.

Fullback Joe Ross ran for 19 yards, Young reeled off 10, and McAda ran for 30 to the Temple 17 before hitting his first career touchdown pass, a 3-yarder to Ron Leshinski that brought Army within 16-14.

Burris committed his only turnover when the Owls got the ball back, and it cost Temple the lead for the first time. James Chun intercepted Burris’ pass at the Owls 35. With Army facing fourth-and-2 at the 22, the Owls jumped offside, setting up Vaughn’s go-ahead score.

Two Army mistakes in the first quarter led to 10 points for the Owls, who took advantage of a fumble by Akili King to go up 3-0. King lost the ball at his 40 and Shedrick Perry fell on it for Temple.

Burris, facing a first-and-21 after a penalty, hit a 22-yard completion to Kersey, and four plays later Ralphiel Mack bulled 14 yards up the middle to the Army 4. But the Black Knights stopped Morse for a 1-yard loss and forced two incompletions by Burris, and the Owls settled for a 22-yard field goal by Maston with 8:51 left.

Army, pinned deep in its territory for much of the quarter, made another mistake in the closing minute, and the Owls swooped in. Young, on a pitch left, fumbled the ball high into the air and linebacker Lance Johnstone picked it up on one bounce at the Army 5 and ran it in. Maston’s kick made it 10-0 with 45 seconds left.

Maston boosted the lead to 13-0 with a 44-yard field goal with 10:18 left in the first half. Army regrouped when McAda, who rushed for 94 yards, replaced Steve Carpenter at quarterback early in the second quarter, but the Black Knights remained scoreless despite a 19-play drive. Facing fourth-and- goal from the 12, Army tried some trickery of its own, but it backfired. Instead of attempting a 29-yard field goal, Army faked and Leshinski was tackled at the 12 after taking a shovel pass from holder Derek Klein.

King, Army’s leading rusher and fresh off a 134-yard performance against Duke, strained his right hamstring midway through the first quarter after only three carries and sat out the rest of the game.

Marc Baxter led the Owls with seven receptions for 95 yards.

Update hourly