Discover your family tree with free resources at Briggs Library
October is National Family History Month, and it’s the perfect time to discover your family’s roots with the help of resources from Briggs Lawrence County Public Library.
Since 1987, the library has helped Lawrence County residents and visitors from all over the country grow their family trees in the Phyllis Hamner Room for Genealogy and Local History at the Main Library in Ironton.
The genealogy room collection continues to expand and includes historical Lawrence County vital statistics, census records, newspaper archives, local histories and cemetery records. The library also offers Internet resources including free access to Ancestry.com when used in any branch of Briggs Library.
Genealogy room hours are 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Wednesdays and Thursdays and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays. The room is closed Sundays, Mondays and Tuesdays.
The genealogy room is located on the second floor of the Ironton library at 321 S. 4th St. Second floor accessible parking is located off South 5th Street on the right between Vernon and Washington streets. For information more call 740-532-1124.
The South Point library’s annual Book and Bake Sale is from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on Friday and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. For information or to inquire about donating items for the sale call 740-377-2288.
The preschool weekly activity schedule is below.
Storytime for ages 3 to 5
• Ironton at 11 a.m. Mondays
• Proctorville at 11 a.m. Tuesdays
• South Point at 11 a.m. Wednesdays
• Chesapeake at 11 a.m. Thursdays
• Symmes Valley at 3 p.m. Thursdays
Toddler Time for ages 2 and 3
• Ironton at 11 a.m. Tuesdays
The public is invited to any Briggs Library event. All activities are free and geared for adults unless otherwise indicated. The schedule of events for Sept. 27 through Oct. 4:
• Today, 5 p.m.: Harry Potter and the Book Club for Kids talk about ”...the Half-Blood Prince” at the Ironton library.
• Today, 5 p.m.: Crochet Club at the Proctorville library.
• Friday, 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.: Book and Bake Sale at the South Point library.
• Saturday, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.: Book and Bake Sale at the South Point library.
• Monday, Oct. 1, 3 p.m.: Lego Club at the Symmes Valley library.
• Tuesday, Oct. 2, 2 p.m.: Crochet Club at the South Point library.
• Tuesday, Oct. 2, 4 p.m.: Art Club for Kids at the South Point library.
• Thursday, Oct. 4, 4:30 p.m.: Teens and Tweens Photo Frame Craft at the Proctorville library.
For the latest, up-to-date information on activities at Briggs Library, visit our website at www.briggslibrary.com and click on the Event Calendar button.