AP NEWS
Related topics

Nasser’s Son, Nephew Among 20 Indicted in Attacks on Diplomats

February 18, 1988

CAIRO, Egypt (AP) _ A son and a nephew of the late President Gamal Abdel Nasser are among 20 people indicted in connection with four attacks on U.S. and Israeli diplomats in Cairo, Egypt’s chief prosecutor announced today.

Prosecutor General Mohammed el-Guindi said he was seeking the death penalty for 11 of the defendants, including Khaled Abdel Nasser, eldest son of the late president.

El-Guindi said he wants prison sentences up to life for the other nine, among them Nasser’s nephew, Gamal Shawky Abdel Nasser, a physician.

Both Nasser relatives are fugitives outside Egypt. Family members say the son is living with his wife and children in Yugoslavia and the nephew in London.

El-Guindi’s indictment accused the first 11 defendants of forming a group called Egypt’s Revolution to assassinate foreign diplomats, aiming to disrupt relations between Egypt and several countries and to destabilize security within Egypt.

The indictment also charged the 11 with murder and attempted murder in the attacks, which occurred one a year between 1984 and 1987. Two Israelis died and six Israelis and two Americans were wounded in the attacks.

Egypt’s Revolution was financed from abroad, el-Guindi told reporters, but he said investigations had not shown which country or countries were involved.

The nine defendants for whom lesser penalties are being asked were accused of complicity in the alleged conspiracies.

″Under the name Egypt’s Revolution, these men assassinated and attempted to assassinate diplomats with the aim of destabilizing the security situation in Egypt and spoiling relations between Egypt and those countries,″ el-Guindi said.

″There was no aim to overthrow the government.″

The defendants included two former military officers and a former corporal.

Nine of the 11 for whom el-Guindi is seeking the death penalty had been arrested and ordered released by the courts. El-Guindi said they would be re- arrested.

Large numbers of bombs, ammunition and weapons including machine guns were discovered with the defendants, he said.

″The financing came from abroad, but the investigation has not showed from where,″ el-Guindi said.

The indictment said Khaled Nasser, 38, formed Egypt’s Revolution along with Mahmoud Nour el-Din el-Sayed Ali Suliman, 47, a former administrative employee at the Egyptian Embassy in London, and Ahmed Essam el-Din el-Sayed Ali Suliman. The Sulimans are brothers.

Mahmoud Suliman was the leader and fired weapons in each attack, the indictment said, and Nasser handled the group’s financial and material supplies.

El-Guindi said the international police coordination agency Interpol would be asked to help bring Khaled Nasser back to Egypt.

Neither Yugoslavia nor Britain, where Gamal Shawki Abdel Nasser is reported to be, has an extradition treaty with Egypt.

Egypt’s Revolution first surfaced in 1984, when an Israeli labor attache was wounded. Its communiques claiming the attacks indicated a pan-Arab philosophy comprising the ideas of Gamal Abdel Nasser, republican Egypt’s first president.

Nasser was revered throughout the Arab world and died in September 1970.

Investigators said the group described itself in a letter to a magazine editor wounded in an attack by an underground Moslem fundamentalist group as ″Nasserite ... with weapons training, aiming to end the official presence of Israelis in the country.″

AP RADIO
Update hourly