MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The fatal shooting of a black man by a Minneapolis police officer has prompted more than a week of protests and led to calls for answers as state and federal investigators piece together what happened. Jamar Clark, 24, was shot in the head Nov. 15 during what authorities said was a struggle with two police officers. Here's a look at where the investigation stands:


Authorities have said their initial investigation shows Clark was a suspect in an assault and was disrupting paramedics who were trying to help the victim. Police say they struggled with Clark, and he was shot.

People who claim they saw the shooting say Clark was handcuffed and wasn't struggling. The state agency that's investigating the shooting, the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, said it's looking into whether Clark was restrained. They say handcuffs were at the scene, but it isn't clear whether they were on Clark or had fallen.

Lt. Bob Kroll, the head of the Minneapolis police union, has said that Clark had his hands on an officer's gun. Authorities have said no other weapons were found.

A federal civil rights investigation is also underway.


Gov. Mark Dayton said Monday that he viewed video captured by an ambulance at the scene and it's inconclusive.

Dayton said the footage he saw contains no audio but shows "a very brief fragment where Mr. Clark and one of the officers encountered each other, and then they disappear from sight."

The ambulance video isn't the only video out there. The BCA has said it also has video from a mobile police camera, public housing cameras and citizens' cellphones, but that none of it shows the event in its entirety. The agency said releasing the footage now would taint its investigation.


Community members have said they won't leave the police precinct that's near the shooting site on Minneapolis' north side until authorities meet their demands, which include the release of video.

Most protests were peaceful before Monday night, when five people were shot and wounded about a block from the precinct. One protester described seeing the shots coming from three masked individuals who weren't part of the protest and had been escorted away. It wasn't immediately clear what prompted the shooting.

Police said Tuesday that they arrested two people, a 23-year-old white man and 32-year-old Hispanic man, and are looking additional suspects. They initially said they were looking for three white males.

Clark's family thanked protesters for their support in a statement early Tuesday, but urged an end to the demonstration at the precinct. However, the Black Lives Matter group said Tuesday afternoon that it will not take down its encampment.


The BCA said it's giving the Clark investigation top priority, even as it warned that such inquiries can take as long as two to four months.

Protesters have several events planned through Sunday outside the 4th Precinct. And Clark's funeral — open to the public — is scheduled for Wednesday at a north Minneapolis church.