AP NEWS

Woman dies in house fire in northern South Carolina

February 23, 2018

ANDERSON, S.C. (AP) — A bedridden woman and her dog have died in a house fire in northern South Carolina.

Anderson County Deputy Coroner Don McCown said it appears 65-year-old Myra Johnson was smoking in bed and the carpet in the room caught fire Thursday.

McCown says Johnson died of smoke inhalation. He says Johnson’s husband was at work at the time of the fire.

A home health nurse had been at the house around noon and Johnson had talked with her husband around 1 p.m. McCown says it appears the fire started around 2 p.m.

The family dog died from smoke inhalation after it was taken to at a veterinarian’s office.

It’s the second fire death in Anderson County this week. Forty-five-year-old Kimberly Michelle Grant died in a fire at her home Tuesday.

AP RADIO
Update hourly