BC-10 Things to Know for Wednesday,Sep 30,ADVISORY
1. WHY THE U.S. MILITARY FAVORS KEEPING AMERICAN TROOPS IN AFGHANISTAN PAST 2016
Officials cite the fragile security situation highlighted by the Taliban’s capture of the northern city of Kunduz. UNITED STATES-AFGHANISTAN
2. RUSSIAN PARLIAMENT AUTHORIZES SENDING TROOPS TO SYRIA
A top Russian official says the approval is necessary “to defend Russia’s national interests.” RUSSIA-TROOPS.
3. A GRANDMOTHER’S ORDEAL IN THE HANDS OF MEXICAN KIDNAPPERS
Few Mexicans who survive kidnappings are willing to talk about it, but one woman stepped forward to tell AP her harrowing story. MEXICO-YOLANDA’S KIDNAPPING.
4. GEORGIA EXECUTES A WOMAN FOR THE FIRST TIME IN SEVEN DECADES
Kelly Renee Gissendaner had been convicted of murder in the February 1997 slaying of her husband. GEORGIA EXECUTION.
5. 2 UBER EXECUTIVES IN FRANCE FACE TRIAL OVER LOW-COST SERVICE
The executives might go to prison over UberPop, the service that remains illegal and allows any driver to act as a taxi. FRANCE-UBER.
6. RUSSIA WILL LEAD MEETING AT U.N. ON FIGHTING TERRORISM
The session at the Security Council underlines how the topic has dominated much of this week’s gathering of world leaders. UNITED NATIONS-SUMMIT.
7. MONEY, TOURISTS AND FEAR: HOW CHINA TRIES TO WOO TIBET AWAY FROM THE DALAI LAMA
Beijing hopes they can dispel international criticism while winning the hearts of Tibetans and pulling them away from the revered leader. CHINA-BUYING TIBET’S LOYALTY
8. CONGRESS TO SEND OBAMA TEMPORARY SPENDING BILL TO AVERT SHUTDOWN
The House and Senate will deliver Obama a stopgap measure to keep government open through Dec. 11. CONGRESS-BUDGET.
9. ARIZONA SHERIFF TO TESTIFY AT CONTEMPT-OF-COURT HEARING
Joe Arpaio will take the stand over his decision to let officers conduct immigration patrols despite orders to stop them. ARIZONA SHERIFF-RACIAL PROFILING.
10. MORMON MUSEUM IN UTAH FEATURES POLYGAMY EXHIBIT
A church leader says the display acknowledges that “plural marriage was a fact of life for the early Mormon church.” MORMONS-HISTORY.