Related topics

Moments Before Bus Stop Tragedy: A Happy Family Scene, With Children Singing

July 21, 1995

WOODLAWN, Md. (AP) _ Kim Linair Dorsey and Karen Fields were sisters and best friends. They did many things together, including walking every morning with their six children from their apartment complex to the bus stop.

They were standing at that bus stop Thursday _ their children singing a song _ when a red Mazda sports sedan jumped a curb and plowed into the family. The force of the crash knocked the children out of the shoes and scattered bodies almost 150 feet. Five people were dead, and a family was left devastated.

``Last weekend we had a family outing, a barbecue. Unfortunately, that won’t happen again,″ said Obie Green, the sisters’ stepfather.

Mrs. Dorsey, 25, and her two daughters, 3-year-old Chanel and 7-year-old Keisha, were killed. Ms. Fields, 26, ran to safety clutching her 9-year-old son Michael, but her two other children, 4-year-old Jasmine Little and 8-year-old Darian Hough, were among the dead.

Mrs. Dorsey’s stepson, Charles Edgar Dorsey Jr., 8, was in fair condition today at Johns Hopkins Hospital Children’s Center with a punctured lung and broken leg.

A woman unrelated to the family, 35-year-old Vicky Stuart, was treated and released. Ms. Stuart, a nursing assistant, said the children were laughing and jostling each other moments before the accident.

``They were all singing the same song, a little children’s song and everybody had a part,″ Ms. Stuart said. ``The car was going very fast. It hit me first. Then he proceeded to hit everybody else. You could hear screams and then it was quiet.″

As they grieved Thursday, family members talked about how close they were and how difficult it will be to recover from the tragedy.

Calvin Dorsey said he kept picturing the family at his wedding six weeks ago: his sister-in-law, Kim, was the maid of honor and her two daughters were flower girls.

``I know God is good. I believe this must have happened for a reason,″ he said during a brief news conference at the police station, during which he broke down several times. He said he felt compassion as well as anger toward the driver, because ``I imagine he has to be going through something, too, mentally.″

The driver, 32-year-old Raymond C. Haney, was questioned briefly, then released. Authorities said the investigation would take at least 10 days and any charges against Haney would be filed then.

Haney tested alcohol-free. State records show Haney had his driver’s license suspended in for a time in 1993 for failing to pay a speeding ticket, but had no other violations in the past three years.

Haney kept his head bowed and appeared distraught as he left the police station. He declined to comment, but Rhonda Alexander, a friend of Haney, said she told him another car cut him off and forced him to swerve onto the sidewalk.

Update hourly