Sampdoria president downplays Eto’o missing training
GENOA, Italy (AP) — Sampdoria President Massimo Ferrero played down a row between new signing Samuel Eto’o and coach Sinisa Mihajlovic after the striker refused to take part in a training session on Monday.
Mihajlovic had cancelled the squad’s day off and imposed a double training session following Sunday’s 5-1 defeat at Torino.
According to Italian media reports, Eto’o informed Mihajlovic after the morning session that he had a prior engagement and, following a heated exchange, left the training center and failed to return for the afternoon session.
“It was only a difference of opinions and, truthfully, a small one too,” Ferrero told Italian national news agency ANSA. “We are calm. Samp is very stable.”
Eto’o joined Sampdoria last week from Everton and made his debut in Turin, coming on for the final 20 minutes.
“There wasn’t an argument with Eto’o, for the simple reason that there has to be two people to argue. And instead he did everything by himself,” Mihajlovic said. “I didn’t see him again after the morning training session nor did I speak to him.
“I don’t know why he left, nor do I know what the club plans to do now. All that is certain is that the player didn’t give me any explanation. I consider it a serious lack of respect toward me and the squad.”