Confession Allowed in Mass. Trial
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (AP) _ The confession of a man accused of killing and molesting a 10-year-old Cambridge boy can be used against him during his murder trial, a judge ruled Wednesday.
Superior Court Judge Judith Cowin said Salvatore Sicari had been read his rights four times in 12 hours and each time he agreed to continue speaking to police about the death of Jeffrey Curley.
Sicari and Charles Jaynes are accused of Jeffrey’s kidnapping and murder last October.
Cowin said Sicari told police his story in an effort to deflect blame for the killing from himself onto Jaynes.
At one point, according to the ruling, Sicari told police: ``I should get years knocked off for telling you guys where the body is at. If I kept that a secret, you would have no idea.″
According to Cowin’s ruling, Sicari admitted he and Jaynes lured Jeffrey into Jaynes’ gray Cadillac with promises of a new bike in October 1997.
According to Sicari’s statement to police, the two men tried to have sex with the boy, who refused. Jaynes then allegedly smothered the boy with a gasoline soaked rag in the back of the car. The men then allegedly molested the body, according to police.
Sicari led police on a five-day search through New Hampshire and Maine. They finally found Jeffrey’s body in a river in Berwick, Maine, in a 50-gallon plastic container filled with concrete.
Cowin said Sicari cooperated with police and voluntarily talked to them four times on Oct. 2 after Jeffrey went missing. He even helped hand out leaflets in the search for the child.
The trial is scheduled to begin Oct. 20.