Springfield City Council approves casino overlay district
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (AP) — Springfield City Council has unanimously approved a new casino overlay district that outlines the borders of the upcoming $950 million MGM Springfield casino resort.
The Republican of Springfield reports (http://bit.ly/1JrcjtE ) Monday’s 11-0 vote now permits developers to begin some demolition and construction work on the site.
City officials say the vote did not approve any changes in design to the resort. MGM Springfield officials have proposed changes that would eliminate a previously proposed 25-story hotel in addition to a reduction in square footage.
Council President Michael Fenton says any design changes will be discussed during site plan review hearings tentatively scheduled for mid- to late-January.
Councilor Kenneth Shea says it’s important to let residents see the progress of the casino’s development. Only some utility work has been conducted so far.
Information from: The Springfield (Mass.) Republican, http://www.masslive.com/news/