US Confident It Has Prevented East German Accession to U.N. Post
WASHINGTON (AP) _ An administration official told a House subcommittee Wednesday the United States is confident its diplomacy has blocked the accession of Hermann Klenner, who is accused of being a Nazi, to the chairmanship of the U.N. Human Rights Commission.
Laura Genero, deputy assistant secretary of state for international organization affairs, said the United States, through diplomatic channels, urged other nations on the commission ″to resolve this now in favor of someone else.″
″We are confident,″ Ms. Genero told the House subcommittee on human rights and international organizations.
Klenner, of East Germany, was installed in February as one of three vice chairmen at the commission’s annual meeting at Geneva.
Ms. Genero said no one paid any attention to the installation because Klenner was the candidate of the Soviet-East European bloc. However, two days later it was brought to the United States’ attention that the East Bloc’s turn at the chairmanship is next year under the rotation system.
Klenner was accused of being a Nazi in 1944-45 by a number of Israeli groups.
Rabbi Marvin Hier, dean of the Simon Wiesenthal Center, a World War II documentation operation in Los Angeles, said last month the State Department assured him in writing it would try to block Klenner’s accession to the chairmanship.
Ms. Genero provided no details on the diplomatic discussions or the evidence against Klenner.
The East German official declined to comment on the issue when questioned by reporters in Switzerland Wednesday.