Related topics

Sports Shorts

December 30, 1991

BLUE POINT, N.Y. (AP) _ Fifth-seeded John Millbank upset top-seeded Paul Annacone 4-6, 7-6 (7-4), 6-2 to advance to the final of the New York State Hardcourt Championship.

In Sunday other semifinal, sixth-seeded Marco Cocopardo beat third-seeded Doug Livingston 7-5, 6-7 (0-7), 6-3.


ELVERTA, Calif. (AP) - Tom Wright of Placerville, Calif., withstood steady rain and a late challenge to win the 24-hour division of the Gibson Ranch Multi-Day Classic after running 134 3/4 miles.

Wright, 47, moved into the lead of the unique race after 12 hours as faster runners steadily withdrew Sunday because of injuries and the inclement weather.

Floyd Whiting, 50, of Reno, Nev., closed within a mile of Wright in the waning hours, but eventually finished second at 132 3/4 miles.

Rhonda Provost, 43, of Forestville, Calif., completed 105 miles to win the women’s 24-hour division. ---

PORT WASHINGTON, N.Y. (AP) - Top-seeded Kenneth Carlsen of Denmark beat Attila Savolt of Hungary 6-1, 6-2 in the Boys 18 final of the Port Washington International Junior Championships.

In Sunday’s Girls 18 final, top-seeded Catalina Cristea of Romania beat Tonka Doric of Yugoslavia 6-2, 6-3.


TOKYO (AP) - A Japanese yacht that had abandoned an ocean race to search for a fallen crewman capsized in rough seas today, leaving four crewmen dead and four missing, the Maritime Safety Agency reported.

An official of the MSA, Japan’s coast guard, said one crewman was rescued by a patrol boat in the Pacific about 200 miles southwest of Tokyo. The yacht Marine Marine’s 10th crew member - its only woman - had been transferred to the patrol boat earlier because of seasickness.

The 39-foot Marine Marine was among nine Japanese boats that left Thursday from Kowajiro, about 28 miles southwest of Tokyo, for the Toyoko Cup race of 1,334 miles to Guam.

The official said one crewman accidentally fell into the sea Friday, and was among the missing. As the yacht and a patrol boat searched during the next two days for the missing man, a rope fouled the Marine Marine’s screw on Sunday, and the patrol boat planned to take the yacht in tow at sunrise Monday, he added.

But the yacht capsized in the dark, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity. He said the patrol boat rescued one crewman holding on to the capsized yacht, and four bodies were recovered from the Marine Marine.

Update hourly