AP NEWS

Unusual Explosion

January 3, 2019

Here’s something you don’t hear very often. A family in West Palm Beach, Florida is lucky to be alive after their refrigerator exploded inside their home Saturday morning, reports WFTS.

Generally speaking, refrigerators typically don’t explode, but the family claims the force of the blast from this one was so strong it caused damage to several rooms.

Mark Ligondie said, “I was in my room, I was asleep and I just heard the bang.”

As the family’s smoke alarm sounded, Ligondie ran to the kitchen where he found what was left of the fourth-month-old fridge.

Ligondie said, “There were fumes coming everywhere.” He added, “The fridge exploded and if you look at this angle right here it expanded and expanded so much it bent the metal of the stove.”

The Whirlpool refrigerator was in pieces, scattered throughout the kitchen and other rooms.

Luckily, no one was hurt. The fire department showed up and cleared the home.

The explosion left cracks in the family’s ceiling and walls, damage to the master bedroom door and a bedroom window is missing.

AP RADIO
Update hourly