East Idahoan recovering after being pinned under truck for at least 2 days

August 9, 2018

Emergency responders work to free a driver from under a pickup southeast of Idaho Falls on Monday evening. The 21-year-old male driver of the pickup had been trapped under the vehicle for at least two days before being rescued.

An Idaho Falls man who was reported missing several days ago is recovering after he was found pinned under his truck Monday night.

Joe Rightmire, 21, was found by his sister, Tasha Goforth, pinned under a pickup at about 7:45 p.m. southeast of Idaho Falls. The truck had rolled over into a ravine, landing on its side. Idaho Falls Fire Department spokeswoman Kerry Hammon said Rightmire had been partially ejected from the truck.

Authorities said Tuesday night that Rightmire had been pinned under the truck for at least two days. An initial joint news release from the Bonneville County Sheriff’s Office and the Idaho Falls Fire Department said Rightmire had been pinned under the truck for several days.

According to the news release, Rightmire was conscious and able to speak to first responders. Sheriff’s office Sgt. Bryan Lovell said Rightmire had no broken bones, but was dehydrated.

Rescuers were able to free Rightmire by sticking airbags underneath the vehicle and inflating them to lift the truck off of him. Firefighters were able to extract him, and he was flown by a Life Flight Network helicopter to Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center.

Jessica Clements, community relations specialist at EIRMC, said Rightmire was in fair condition Tuesday afternoon. Goforth said her brother and their family would talk more about his experience after he recovered.

“We are not releasing any information on the situation until Joe is ready to give it himself,” Goforth said. “He is stable and doing very well for the situation he was in.”

Hammon said the firefighters could not recall a similar rescue situation.

“None of them could recall a rescue in the area such as the one last night where the victim had been pinned for such a long duration and was in stable condition when he was found,” Hammon said via email.

The Idaho State Journal contributed to this report.

Update hourly