South Carolina schools off limits during shooting protests
GREENVILLE, S.C. (AP) — One South Carolina school district says the news media will not be allowed to cover activities marking the shooting deaths of 17 people at a Florida high school last month.
Greenville School District spokeswoman Beth Brotherton said in a statement Monday that reporters will not be allowed on school property during the National School Walkout on Wednesday.
Local media had asked to cover student-led activities at the schools.
The district already has warned students not to walk out of class and has suggested indoor activities.
Brotherton said photos and video may be recorded of the exterior of school buildings if the photographer stays off school property.
Brotherton said the district based its decision on safety concerns.
A school district in neighboring Anderson County says the media may cover its events.