Related topics

Phil Leslie

September 25, 1988

LOS ANGELES (AP) _ Writer Phil Leslie, who for more than a decade created the comic antics of ″Fibber McGee and Molly″ that kept millions of radio listeners laughing, died Friday of cancer at age 79.

Leslie, who also brought the popular characters ″Major Hoople″ and ″Beulah″ to radio in other shows, wrote in later years for such television programs as ″The Lucy Show,″ ″Dennis the Menace″ and ″The Brady Bunch.″

Leslie was an aspiring scriptwriter as a theater usher and manager in St. Louis when comedian Al Pierce asked him to write for his show in California. Pierce retired, and Leslie wrote for Bob Hope, Roy Rogers and others.

He became main writer for ″Fibber McGee and Molly″ during the show’s heyday in the early 1940s and stayed on until it ended in the 1950s. Michael Fessier NORTHRIDGE, Calif. (AP) - Michael Fessier, a movie and television scriptwriter as well as an author of short stories, died Tuesday. He was 82.

Fessier, editor of the San Rafael Independent Journal in the early 1930s, wrote the movies ″You’ll Never Get Rich″ and ″You Were Never Lovelier,″ starring Fred Astaire, and ″It All Came True,″ starring Humphrey Bogart.

Fessier also wrote for TV’s ″Bonanza,″ ″Alfred Hitchcock Presents″ and ″The Thin Man.″ He wrote short stories for Story and Esquire magazines. His story, ″That’s What Happened to Me,″ has been published in 70 anthologies.

Fessier also published a humorous novel, ″Fully Dressed and in His Right Mind″ before becoming a writer for MGM studios. He retired 15 years ago. Bishop Henry Pinger

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - Bishop Henry Ambrose Pinger, whose three decades of missionary service in the Orient included nine years of imprisonment, died Saturday at 91.

He spent four years in Japanese concentration camps during World War II, and was arrested by the Chinese communists in 1951 and imprisoned for another five years.

Negotiations between Chinese and American officials led to the release of the Nebraska native as well as other U.S. citizens.

After being freed, he spent two years in Chicago before arriving in 1958 in Indianapolis, where he was chaplain for the Little Sisters of the Poor until 1984. From 1984 to 1986, he served at St. Paschal Catholic Church in Oak Brook, Ill., a Chicago suburb.

Update hourly