Outdoors notices for Oct. 21, 2018
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania is holding an outing at 9 a.m. Wednesday at Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve. Join a naturalist for a free walk on the reserve’s trails. Register online at aswp.org/events/8220.
• Forbes State Forest is offering a Howl at the Moon Hike from 9-11 p.m. Wednesday. Howl at the moon during this moderate, 2-mile hike on Laurel Mountain while learning about the history of Halloween and listening to spooky stories. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 724-259-2201.
• Keystone State Park is having a Family Science Night from 5-7 p.m. Friday. Bring the family to the James Kell Visitor Center for self-led activities, games and crafts centered around the theme of Amazing Autumn. Email email@example.com or call 724-668-2939.
• Venture Outdoors is holding a Halloween Tyke Hike from 10-11:30 a.m. Saturday at Schenley Park. Join in with a friendly costume for this traditional hike through Schenley Park before trick or treats and Halloween crafts, weather permitting. Parents or caregivers with children ages newborn to 5 years old are welcome. The hike will last 1-2 miles and will be friendly for strollers, slings and child-carriers. A suggested donation of $5 will help cover the costs of craft supplies and snacks. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 412-255-0564.
• Jennings Environmental Education Center is hosting an Art and Nature: Smart Phone Photography event from 2-4:30 p.m. Saturday. Join Jennings staff and guest photographer Eric Mastrangelo to learn techniques that will help you get great shots using your smartphone. Space is limited and participants must register by Thursday. Registration fee will cost $10. Call the center at 724-794-6011 to register.
• Point State Park is holding a Lantern Tour of Point State Park from 5-6:30 p.m. Sunday. Join park staff for a lantern-lit sunset tour of the park. Space is limited, so registration is required. Event is weather permitting. Email email@example.com or call 412-565-2850.
• Cook Forest State Park is holding a Cathedral by Candlelight event at 7 p.m. Oct. 31. In honor of Halloween, join park staff in this walk into the forest cathedral by candlelight and experience the haunting history that inhabits the giant forest. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 814-744-8407.
• Three Rivers Birding Club is holding an outing at 8:30 a.m. Nov. 11 at Moraine State Park. Join the club in search of water fowl and late fall migrants. Email group leader Michael David at Michaeltdavid@gmail.com for more information.