Jail inmates taken to hospital after carbon monoxide found
WIGGINS, Miss. (AP) — At least two inmates at a south Mississippi jail were taken to hospitals after carbon monoxide was discovered there.
WLOX-TV reports the problem was discovered Saturday at the Stone County Regional Correctional Facility after inmates began complaining of headaches and other symptoms.
Warden Dwain Brewer says one inmate was taken to a hospital in Wiggins, followed by a second who Brewer characterized as having a slower reaction time.
Brewer says nine inmates overall complained about reactions from carbon monoxide. The inmates in affected areas are being temporarily moved to another Mississippi Department of Corrections facility.
Officials are still seeking the cause of the gas. Brewer says the jail wants its boiler company to examine the situation.
Inmates were taken outside to the jail’s recreation yard after the problem began Saturday.
Information from: WLOX-TV, http://www.wlox.com