AP NEWS
Related topics

31 Kids Taken to Hospital After Carbon Monoxide Buildup

February 8, 1985

AUBURN, Ala. (AP) _ Thirty-one children riding a bus to pre-school centers were taken to a hospital today after carbon monoxide began building up in the vehicle, officials said. None of the youngsters was seriously affected.

Sherrell Lewis, spokeswoman for the East Alabama Medical Center, said the children, ranging in age from 3 to 6, were riding with the driver and another adult to Head Start centers at Auburn when the build-up of the poisonous fumes began.

She said an adult noticed that something was wrong, stopped the bus and called emergency personnel. Ambulances then transported the children to the hospital, with some carried in arms by paramedics into the emergency room.

One of the 31 children may require further care at the hospital, said Ms. Lewis. She said that child’s condition ″is not listed as serious.″

Carbon monoxide, an odorless and highly poisonous gas that is usually vented safely from vehicle edxhaust systems, prevents the release of oxygen to the body. It can cause headaches, nausea and drowsiness, and in major doses can be fatal.

It wasn’t immediately known what caused the build-up in the bus as it made its rounds through the cold morning, with temperatures at or near freezing outside.

AP RADIO
Update hourly