Man arrested third time in four days by Kankakee police

March 14, 2019

KANKAKEE — For the third time in four days, Kankakee police have arrested Antonio A. Stewart for a misdemeanor offense.

On Monday, the 47-year-old Stewart was charged with criminal damage to property.

According to a report, an officer was dispatched to a home in the 500 block of North Harrison Avenue at approximately 11:17 p.m. about someone trying to break into her residence. Dispatch also said subjects were calling in reference to a man dressed in red jumping in front of cars in the street.

The officer located the man, Stewart.

When asked if he had been at the home in the 500 block of North Harrison, Stewart said he had and he broke a window.

The resident said she was awakened by a man who shouted to let him in. He then broke the window. She said she did not know Stewart.

At approximately 1:40 p.m. Monday, Judge Kathy Bradshaw-Elliott released Stewart on a $15,000 recognizance bond for criminal trespass to a home in the 800 block of South Curtis on Saturday as well as criminal trespass on land and obstructing identification at Economy Inn on Friday.

Elliott told him if he got arrested again, he would be jailed.

“You committed one crime (Saturday) and committed two crimes (Monday),” Elliott said during Stewart’s bond hearing on Tuesday.

“Now you are staying with us. I promised you I would do this.”

Elliott set his bond at $15,000 and ordered a fitness evaluation. He was back in court today.

Stewart told the judge he has a March 20 court date for a charge in Chicago.

Prosecutor Erika Hamer said Stewart has a “significant, significant’ record.

According to a report, an officer responded at approximately 6:24 p.m. Saturday to a call of a subject who entered a house without permission. Stewart had entered through an unlocked front door. A birthday party was taking place and no one knew Stewart.

A witness said Stewart started talking crazy and was not making much sense.

On March 8 at approximately 10:51 p.m., an officer was dispatched to Economy Inn, in the 2100 block of U.S. Highway 45/52 where Stewart refused to leave.

An officer offered Stewart a ride out of the area so he did not have to walk but Stewart refused.