TIPS FOR AVOIDING A DUI THIS NEW YEAR’S EVE
• Make transportation arrangements before you head out for the night. Some options include designating a driver, taking a cab or a ride share and using local public transit.
• Rent a hotel room or stay overnight where you are.
• If hosting a party, offer non-alcoholic drinks to designated drivers. If possible, provide overnight accommodations to guests who’ve been drinking.
• Take the car keys away from friends and relatives who have had too much to drink.
• Commit to never driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
If you suspect a driver is under the influence, stay as far behind their vehicle as possible and as soon as it’s safe to do so, pull over and call 911. Since you can’t control the actions of other drivers on the road, the best protection is to buckle up every time you get into a vehicle.